Wednesday, January 05, 2005

"At the end of the day you get nothing for nothing..."

I'm starting to make a New Year's tradition of seeing great theatre. Last beginning of January, I was in London watching Anything Goes, and this weekend April and I went to see Les Miserables at the Pantages theatre, which, although extremely ornate in an ornatey sort of way, is a rather spectacular place to see a show. I had just gotten used to the fact that most theatres are not the grand visions that I'd always imagined they would be when I was a little girl who thought of little else besides musicals and Broadway and Little Orphan Annie. Some of the best theatre I've seen has been in smallish venues that are worn in to the point of almost being shabby. I've gotten used to not expecting much from the theatre itself and placing more emphasis on the performance, which I guess is how it should be. But it was nice to go to a show somewhere so bold and assuming for once. It's too bad that we saw the last performance of the run, because I'd have loved to encourage everyone in LA to see this particular show. It blows my mind how many tremendously talented people there are out there. Everyone in the cast was incredible. Made me wish I'd pursued theater as originally planned, just so that I could be around that more often.

On a side note, I had escargot for the first time on Saturday. It burnt my tongue and I had to spit it out -- in the most ladylike way possible, of course. Luckily I was not alone, as April was spitting at the same moment. Eventually we managed to eat those two buggers along with several of their garlicky friends. However, if given the choice between snails and banana creme pie, may I politely suggest you go with the pie.

No comments: