Thursday, May 25, 2006

23 Days



This isn't wedding related at all, but something I've been thinking about today is the realization that I've recently gotten over certain things about myself that I've been hung up on for years, namely that I have enormous feet, and am very pale. I guess you could say that I've finally reached a point of self acceptance where these things are concerned, except it's much less warm and fuzzy than that. I've just stopped caring. Today I'm wearing a skirt that comes to my knees and a pair of bright green shoes. This outfit showcases both the shocking whiteness of my legs and the bony monstrosity of my feet (also splendidly pale) in a way that would have been absolutely terrifying to my fourteen year old self. But now it gives me no pause.

I see that my little sisters are rushing quickly (if they aren't already there) toward the age where certain things they don't like about the way they look will cause them trauma, and I wish I could tell them not to worry, that one day they will, seemingly out of nowhere, not be bothered by those things anymore.

I'm curious: What stuff have you gotten over about yourself?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bad hair, and a certain annoying intellectualism that can be off-putting.

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, two of them are being pale and having big feet and the third is a big nose. My boyfriend teases me that I glow in the dark and that I have big ol monkey feet (which I don't really understand because not only are they pale, they are long, narrow, and hairless) and it doesn't even phase me. A few years ago I'd have been horrified.

Anonymous said...

That I am no longer mistaken for 40, 50, or even 60 years old!

Grandma

Anonymous said...

I agree about the pale skin. I've stopped trying to get tan and decided to try to not get wrinkles instead.

I don't know if there's really any one thing I've gotten over. I'm just less insecure in general about how I look and I don't care as much anymore. It must come with age. In general, I don't care what people think about me as much.

this is me said...

I got over my feet a few years back. Perhaps the summer after my freshman year of college. It's not so much with my feet that they are large, they are infact smaller for my height, but that they are just ugly looking. I just always have my toes painted in fun colors, that seems to help :)