Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Blurred & Bewitched


los angeles blur, originally uploaded by sweetmondaygirl.

I sometimes worry that I am steering my characters in the wrong direction, or not telling the things about them that I need to tell. I worry that I won't realize how far off track I am until it's too late. In my mind, my characters are fully formed people. I know what they look like, how they react to things and the choices they are inclined to make. It's actually BECAUSE I feel I know them so well that I fear I will underexplain them, keeping them too close to me. Trying to create something as big as a novel still overwhelms me, even though I am about a third of the way into it.

In other news, I wish I were Samantha, and could wiggle my nose while here at work, and arrive home later to find my laundry completely done -- folded and put away and everything.

2 comments:

Doug Worgul said...

Just tell what they do, and the why they do it will become clear over time.

Patience and faith.

(So, then, is G like Darrin?)

Claire said...

I'm sure your characters are developing much better than you think. Sometimes when you're the one creating something you're too close to see how far it's come.